Collaborative notes taken by paricipants of the DH Summer School Switzerland:
Tutorial/Workshop Session 2: Claire Clivaz (@cclivaz), & Lukas Rosenthaler: Multimedia Literacies and SALSAH
Towards Multimedia literacies. Discovering SALSAH (System for annotation and linkage in arts and humanities). http://www.salsah.org
Part I – Claire Clivaz
Swiss institutional context about Reasearch Data Management in the Humanities: http://www.sagw.ch/fr/sagw/laufende-projekte/ddz.html
IPads and Digital Tool in elementary classroom — > Beginning of a new era of digital literacy, says Clivaz
1860-1980: Generalisation of elementary education and monopole of the print culture
In Antiquity, “sound-image-text” culture. We are too much formated by text-centric culture.
Emergence of Multi-media Academic Virtual Objects
Project example: www.zeega.com – Artists meet scholars
FYI: The clip of Youssoupha, Menaces de mort, was about/against Eric Zemmour (not Nicolas Sarkozy). http://rapgenius.com/Youssoupha-menace-de-mort-lyrics#lyric
Part II – Lukas Rosenthaler
Traces the history of the Digital Humanities Lab in Basel: http://www.dhlab.unibas.ch/index.php/en/
First digital camera in the Lab in 1981
Today many online primary sources available.
Project example: http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/
If you want to work with digitized sources, you have to print them out or save them locally, you cannot annotate them, i.e. you miss a Virtual Research Environment (VRE).
The web was founded as a virtual collaboration tool for CERN researchers. And then it has developped in… well, you know.
Why digitize large collection if you cannot work with them.
VRE for Humanities. Features: Annotation / Linkage / Transcription / Collaboration
– Resource Description Framework: model developed by the W3C (RDF, semantic model)
– Salsah supports bi-directionnal connections between databases
– “We are very flexible and we can added practicaly on the fly”.
– Web-based frontend appliation <- html5 / ajax / jQuery
– Flexibility: possibility to import metadata based on DublinCore and manage them
– Bi-directionnality RDF to RDFS (cf. schema http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Semantic-web-stack.png)
Search strategy: different ways for searching (text, graph and… ? Didn’t catch the rest)
– high quality (JPEG2000, lossless compression), conversion (JPEG, TIFF, PNG) => possibility to adapt the quality of images in reading
– optional watermark